Situated on a small peninsula (in the immediate vicinity of the large seaside resort of Sunny Beach), one of the oldest towns in Europe still exudes the spirit of different ages and peoples – Thracians, Hellenes, Romans, Slavs, Byzantines and Bulgarians.
Nessebur’s greatest wealth are its many churches: the Old Bishop’s Residence in an early Byzantine style (4th-5th c.), the New Bishops Residence (St. Stefan), containing valuable 12-th century murals, the Christ Pantocrator and Aliturgetos churches (13-th -14th c.).
Nessebur’s National Revival houses with stone foundations and broad wooden eaves, overhanging narrow cobbled lanes leading right into the sea, are also remarkably beautiful. Their shapes feature a light upper wooden floor, contrasting to the stone-built ground floor and typical roofed verandas. Among the better known houses are: the house of Mouskoyani (1840) with an ethnographic exhibition, displaying folk wear from the region of Bourgas; the house of Captain Paul, the Chimboulev, Lambrinov, and Toulev house, the house of Diamandi (1850), of Hadzhi Tranosh (1850), with scissors, inbuilt on the stone slab, as an emblem of his craft. The water mills lend a special atmosphere and a romantic flavor to the landscape of Nessebur.