bozhentsi

An idyllic village nestling in a small valley of the Balkan Mountains, 16 km east of Gabrovo, which time seems to have lulled to sleep centuries ago. The shutters of the workshops have been closed, the blacksmiths have stopped hammering, the hearths have gone out, the well in the square, the wax workshop and the St. Elija Church are almost 200 years old. Having preserved the spirit and atmosphere of the Bulgarian National Revival, it produced remarkable master masons, potters, farriers, and weavers that had made it known far and wide for its beauty. One can see here preserved and restored houses of inimitable Revival Period architecture. Featuring among its landmarks are: the Old coffee house, the Church of Prophet Elijah (1839), the school from 1872, the museum.